Corporate Legal Counselling
Today the management of companies always encounters with various issues and problems. We, Rhi & Partners, provide legal advice with respect to various legal issues regarding the corporate management including contract related issues, human resource and employment issues, stock and financing related issues, taxation and governmental licenses and permits issues.
Corporate Dispute Resolution
With respect to various disputes, domestic or overseas, we are equipped with capability in resolving disputes between shareholders themselves, those between shareholders and management and those disputes between companies. We have a vast amount of experiences and reasonable know-hows in all stages of dispute resolution including the settlement negotiations, preservatory measures, litigation and compulsory enforcement of judgments.
Monopoly Regulations and Fair Trade, Franchise Transaction
Our attorneys in charge of fair trade issues have practical experiences as public officials of the Korea Fair Trade Commission or resolved the fair trade related cases such as bid rigging at large law firms, and also served certain official mediators such as the Fair Trade Dispute Mediator and Franchise Transaction Dispute Mediator. Our Fair Trade Team are equipped with capability in resolving various fair trade related issues faced by domestic or foreign companies such as investigation of Korea Fair Trade Commission and court litigations. We also have experiences in resolving the cases before the foreign fair trade authorities.
- Bid rigging and unfair trade transactions
- Cases in violation of subcontract law, fair labeling and advertising and other pyramid sale cases
- Leniency filing and subsequent procedures for Marine Hose
- Advice on unfair trade practices such as Cadland
Delisting, Corporate Rehabilitation and Restructuring, Bankruptcy
We have experiences in providing legal services in connection with substantial examination for delisting from the stock exchange. In addition, we have been assisting our clients for the successful restructuring including preparing for the restructuring plan, filing for the corporate rehabilitation or bankruptcy.
- Samick Corp in the case of court receivership.
- Dongseo Securities in the case of court receivership
- Neo Solar in the case of substantial examination for delisting and application for preliminary measure preventing the delisting
- Various corporate rehabilitation including Daejin Chemical Industry, Seheung Chemical Industry, Keumkang B&F and Mirae
- Cases of corporate restructuring through spin-offs or split-offs of listed companies
Our attorneys have experiences in pleading in the cases of various corporate crimes occurred in the domestic companies and maintained high the success rate and the level of client satisfaction. We have satisfied our clients at all stages of cases at the prosecutor’s office and courts with the thorough preparation, advice, attendance and pleading.
Corporate mergers and acquisitions
Rhi & Partners provides legal services relating to corporate mergers and acquisitions, corporate divisions, and joint venture transactions, which includes legal due diligence, draft and review of transaction document such as the subscription agreements for new shares, convertible bonds and bonds with warrants and shareholders agreements, negotiation, advice on the transaction structure and relevant laws and regulations and procurement of acquisition financing.
- Baeksan Mobile in the asset purchase deal
- Woongjin.com in the business transfer deal
- Dongnam Heavy Industries in the transfer of controlling shareholding and management right
- Halla E&C in the acquisition of shares and management right
- Chosun Trading in the corporate divisions (KSNET, MSO), joint venture investment and establishment of a holding company, which was the first of such in Korea
- KT in the corporate division
- SDS in the division of Samsung Networks
- G&G Telecom in its acquisition deal
Management Right Disputes and Hostile M&As
We have plenty of experiences in handling cases of intra-company disputes and hostile M&As, including the dispute between shareholders themselves and those between management and shareholders. For those disputes, it is crucial to successfully establish a strategy for acquisition or defense and to obtain court approvals for the preliminary measures under the Commercial Act, in which Rhi & Partners is advantageous as it has a strong cooperation between the corporate counselling team and litigation team.
- Korea Wheel
- Zenu One Holdings Group
- Q&Tech and Jooang Papers
- Lake Side CC in the management right dispute
- Ticket Link in the management right dispute at
- Hansol Telecom in the minority shareholder right protection at
Report on Corporate Combination
Corporate M&As become important issues under the Monopoly Regulations and Fair Trade Act due to its consequences reducing the market competition and strengthening the market control. Based on its experiences of various counselling and litigations Rhi & Partners can provide analysis on the relevant market situation and carry out all works relating to report on the corporate combination before the Korea Fair Trade Commission.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Foreign Investment and Joint Venture
Rhi & Partners has lawyers admitted to practice law in U.S. and is also a part of global legal network encompassing over 50 countries worldwide. To both inbound foreign companies looking to set up a subsidiary or a joint venture in Korea and outbound Korean companies doing business overseas, Rhi &Partners offers legal counsel on incorporation, contract draft and negotiation, government agency filings, etc.
- IBM, BT, Sun, Lotus Development, and McAfee in business and joint venture in Korea
- Neomics and MetaBio in joint venture
- Digital Aria and UseDream in business and joint venture in China, as well as over 80 cross-border investment transactions
International Litigation & Arbitration
When a dispute between a foreign company and a domestic company or between foreign companies is to be resolved in Korean courts, Korea Commercial Arbitration Board or other foreign arbitral institutions, Rhi & Partners can represent either side. And when cases take place in foreign courts outside of Korea, Rhi & Partners uses its legal network to work alongside foreign law firms.
- Samsung Techwin and Pentax in mediation and strategic partnership agreement regarding a patent infringement litigation in U.S.
- Voiceware in IP dispute in U.S. and China
- Other international commercial arbitrations
Trade, Securities Finance
Rhi & Partners has long advised clients on payment, shipping and other issues in trade-related disputes, and litigated cases involving beneficiary certificates and corporate bonds. Also, Rhi & Partners has provided solutions with respect to system development disputes. Rhi & Partners has considerable experience in litigating the matters above, understands the industries, and knows how to provide optimal solutions to each client.
- Export contract agency and export comprehensive insurance
- Finance comprehensive insurance
- Letter of credit
- Beneficiary certificate
- Commission agency
- System development
Overseas Business, Securities Finance
Constitutional Cases, Administrative Cases,
Tax Litigations; Real Estate Redevelopment
Constitutional Cases, Administrative Cases, Tax Litigations
Rhi & Partners has been named as one of the most prestigious law firms in the Constitutional Court Cases, led by Mr. Sang-Hong Seo who has served in the Constitutional Court for nearly a decade and has retired as the Secretary General of the Constitutional Court and Mr. Sang Kyu Rhi, who contributed in the formation of the Court. In addition, the firm is proud of expertise and accomplishments in administrative litigations and tax litigations led by Mr. Sang Kyu Rhi and Mr. Jin Gook Kim, a former judge and a team leader of the Government Legal Service.
Representative Accomplishment Cases
- Airline route licensing case
- Cancellation of gift taxes imposition related to the trust of unlisted stocks
- Cancellation of income tax imposition on Yen swap deposits
- Star Tower case of cancellation of capital gains tax imposition
- Cancellation of capital gains tax imposition on landowners in public utilities
Real estate, Construction, Urban Redevelopment, Reconstruction
The firm also records excellent performance in real estate-related lawsuits such as registration, construction-related lawsuits such as construction payments, redevelopment, and reconstruction cases. In particular, it has handled various business license cases, civil bills, administrative cases, and advisory cases related to construction projects, real estate sales, project financing, and real estate trusts commissioned by large domestic construction companies, real estate trust companies, and concluded consultation contracts with the redevelopmentㆍreconstruction cooperatives or the committees pursuing the establishing such cooperatives in Seoul, Bucheon, Yongin, Suwon and other places to carry out various dispositions, civil affairs, administrative cases, and advisory services.
Family Law Cases: will, inheritance, divorce, estate planning, etc.
The firm has vast ranges of experience in handling various inheritance-related cases, such as the will draft and execution of high net wealth individuals, inheritance property division, payment of the legal portion of heirs, and hundreds of marriage-related cases, such as paternity-related non-litigation cases, divorce, and property division, with deep know-how in family law cases. In particular, we have leading work experience and know-how with respect to domestic assets owned by foreign asset owners and the estate planning of such foreigners.
Criminal Law Practices
The firm has long-term experience in defense of various crimes and has had a high success rate and satisfaction. At both the investigation stage and court proceedings, we have been providing our customers with thorough preparation, advice, presence and defense.
Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, Licensing, Trade Secrets, Unfair Trade Practices
Rhi & Partners has long advised domestic and foreign firms on IP, licensing, trade secrets and unfair trade practices. Moreover, Rhi & Partners can represent either foreign firms in Korea or domestic firms abroad in both litigation and arbitration to protect their IP.
- Metro newspaper in trade secrets
- Gianni Versace and Gucci in trademarks
- Polo Ralph Lauren in parallel imports
- Hynix and Sanion in trade secrets
- computer program protection litigation and execution of judgment
- MPMan in IP infringement
- CNC Enterprise in IP